Saturday, September 19, 2009

soft hearted or old fashioned...

Today my hubby was gone to Marine testing an hour away so I had the morning to myself. I fixed some coffee and got ready to run a few errands. As I was getting ready my mother called to inform me of someone being engaged from my hometown and then threw in this...oh by the way...Grandma had the lawn mower roll over her leg! My heart skipped a beat. You have to understand since I made the move in May I have been constantly at my grandparents who live only an hour away to help out in the little ways I am capable of doing so. My grandpa has Alzheimer's and grandma pretends he doesn't...well doesn't want to accept the fact that he does. The funny thing is the place in her yard where she rolled the lawnmower was exactly where I mowed this past Sunday not even a week ago! Grandma didn't bother to call me or anyone else in our family for that matter. My dad...her son...just happened to find out when she let it slip in conversation. She says she's doing fine and it doesn't hurt to walk there is just a slight stinging sensation from some nerves being irritated or even damaged. Still at this moment I'm debating whether or not to go check on them...just pop in. I'm not sure how she would take that honestly. If there is anyone out there reading this and would be willing to lift a few prayers to the big man upstairs they would be greatly appreciated. After hearing this news I continued to get ready...I went to use a car wash coupon that was going to expire after today. Car wash=completed. Then I drove to Hobby Lobby to pick up a few beads to make a necklace since the beads were on sale this week. Just feeling kind of crafty. Upon entering the parking lot I noticed this nicely dressed man walking from across the parking lot on the far side. He had a confused look on his face. He walked to one corner of the parking lot behind me stopped with both hands on his hips then walked to the other corner and stopped. My heart was hurting because I thought to myself...what if this man has Alzheimer's. This could be my grandpa someday. Just simply walk away from my grandmother without her noticing. My heart hurt! I got out of my car and approached the man and simply asked him if he was lost. He smiled at me and said not yet. He went on to explain that he was trying to go down the busiest street here to get some cigarettes but since there wasn't a sidewalk he figured he shouldn't risk it. I said okay just making sure you weren't lost. He thanked me and went on his way and I head in the the store. Hobby Lobby=completed. After leaving Hobby Lobby I decided to head to Wal-Mart to purchase a wreath hanger...since my sister in law inspired me to make one too! Whether I'm with my friends at Wal-Mart or any where else for that matter I can't help but reach out to those who are in need of assistance. Once when I was with some friends and I decided to help this elderly lady...they asked me if I knew her and I said no I was just helping her find what she was looking for...they gave me the strangest looks! It makes my heart hurt to know that people are too busy in life to simply reach out and just do something so simple ex. #1) Lady on the cosmetic aisle couldn't read the lip liner tube...too small of print so I helped her. ex. #2) An elderly lady wanted to know if Wal-Mart sold shop vacs. When I turned and she saw I wasn't an employee she apologized and said nevermind. That didn't stop me...I found out for her and helped her find what she was looking for. I don't tell you this to get any gratification or praise from others. I do it because I think about the person being someone's daughter, mother, sister, grandmother, etc. If I had a family member in need of assistance even if it were something as simple as reaching the top shelf at the store I would appreciate knowing that there was someone out there willing to give them seconds of their time to help. This fast paced world only seems to be getting faster. I will never cease helping others.


Life is full of adventure...and it is what you make it! So live it to its fullest potential!

1 comment: